Monday 20 January 2014

Beauty bag part 1- the face & eyes:

Well hello there. I thought I would show you some of my beauty bag goodies that I reach for regularly. You can tell these products are well used, some of them look worn out haha. But hey at least it shows they are well loved.
 I haven't included everything in this post as we would be here all night. There will be others, but this just sticks to the face: foundation, powder, blush, mascara, eye shadow, mascara etc. Some of these I have reviewed already so I wont touch on those. There are a few newbies mixed in there too + some products that are missing (I need to repurchase etc). I hope you enjoy.


As you can see I have already talked about the Jerome Alexander stackables, Elf mascara primer, and 17 concealer, so if you would like to read reviews on them they will be in another post.

Firstly we have the sleek contouring and blush palette (it broke and the lid went missing lol) : this is amazing, and I use it everyday. Not so much the contour as I find this is too dark for me.
The blush has a lovely glow with a sheen, but its not overly dark, it makes my cheeks look like they have a nice flush. If you would like a deeper colour its easy to just apply more, which I would do for a night out.

The highlight is my favourite, its really pretty on the skin. I add this to my cheekbones, on my brow bone, and in the corner of my eyes. It adds to the face without being over the top. I wanted this for so long, then I finally just went for it. And I'm so glad I did. Definitely a good investment for my makeup bag, I don't know what I would do without it now. 9/10.

Revlon colorstay for combination/oily skin: I use the colour 110 Ivory. I also wanted this for ages, and I'm glad I finally took the plunge, got it a while back now. I love this foundation. You don't need too much, and I would definitely apply a little at a time, as it can go cakey and heavy if you just slap it on without blending little by little. It lasts all day, stays put, and its great if you have pale skin, as its quite light colour wise. Unlike some other foundations that claim they are and turn out orange. I don't use it everyday as I want it to last as long as possible. 8/10.

Maybelline mega plush volume express mascara: I use this a lot, and its great for everyday wear. Its very light and natural looking, but can be built up to make it more extreme. One coat just adds a nice light daytime look, which is great if you like natural looking eyelashes. I tend to do at least 2-3 coats as I like more intense eyelashes. I like this mascara but its not my all time fave. 7/10.

Rimmel stay matte powder: Everyone in the beauty world has heard about this. But I thought I'd review it anyway just in case someone hasn't or would like to hear my opinion on it. Its definitely a great powder, does what it says, sets makeup, keeps shine at bay etc. I get my powders in transparent/ivory.They are must for my face, don't like looking too shiny, and if I wear foundation on its own I look way too oily. I've tried many powders in my time, think I started using them just after foundation (which I started playing about with at around 14 years old). Although this powder is very similar to a lot of others out there, I'd say it slightly (only just) out shines them (see what I did there? lol). 9/10.

Maybelline dream pure BB cream: I got this for oily skin, which has 2% salicylic acid in it + SPF 15. Its in the colour light, but it is a bit dark for my skin, and a little orange but it can be worked with. I set it with powder and add a bit of blush. Recently took a trip abroad, and this is what I took with me, didn't want to be wearing foundation, and with the added bonus of SPF 15 ( I still wore sun cream underneath). It says it conceals imperfections, but my break outs were still quite visible. It doesn't add much coverage at all, but its nice to add to your face if you just need a little something, I never want to leave the house completely bare faced. In terms of redness, it concealed that ok. I wear this on my natural days, if I feel foundation is too heavy or overdone. 6/10.

Collection 2000 pressed powder: I love this powder, its really great for the price. This is probably my most used powder throughout the years. I've used the Maybelline one quite a lot as well, and this is really similar. I thought its virtually the same, and cheaper so I purchased this a long time ago. It works- keeps my shine at bay, sets makeup, definitely money well spent.  Its enriched with silk and blended with moisturisers- vitamin E, and has UVA and UVB sunscreens added. 9/10. I just love this, Iv'e repurchased it so many times.

Beauty UK eye shadow collection in earth child: I hit pan on my old palette, and really missed the colours I used to use all the time. So I went searching for a similar one with similar colours, and I came across this. I needed something cheap, and quickly, and this was definitely cheap. The colours weren't exactly what I wanted, but they would do. Its not a bad palette for the price, its quite pigmented, and if you just want something you can wear on a daily basis, now and again, on a budget, or just starting out with makeup, its perfect. They are very sheeny and silky, and you can create a smokey look with them. 6/10. (I'll throw in a watch so you can see what they look like better). See below for swatch.


Elf little black beauty book in festive everyday and glam holiday: I can tell already that these little
beauties will be my go to eye shadows. Ever since purchasing them I have not stopped wearing them. They are so creamy and pigmented, although I haven't tried them all. Some seem more pigmented and creamier than other, but I just think they are fab and great for a range of looks. Glad I purchased them, value for money in a nutshell. There is one gorgeous natural peachy colour that I love for everyday or for work, its so shimmery and pretty. I have included a swatch of each one below, but only 8 colours from each as we would be here for a week swatching them as there are 96 in total lol. See them below. 8/10.



This one is festive everyday. 



And this one is glam holiday. My hands all shiny from the glitters =]

Last but not least Elf lash extending mascara: I quite like this mascara, I've used it everyday since I purchased it. It's very similar to the maybelline one in terms of its natural looking when applied once, and needs to be be built up to become dramatic. It separates lashes really well, no clumping. As I said earlier I love applying 2-3 coats, the thicker and more dramatic type eye is what I go for. I'm not convinced it lengthens lashes that much more than any other mascara I've used, but it definitely separates them well.The wand is flat on one side and curved with longer bristles on the other, and is a plastic. I would rate this a 8/10.

That's my beauty bag go to products with reviews on each one. I didn't go into detail about products I've already mentioned, as to not repeat myself. So I left the Elf eyelash primer, HD powder, and Jerome Alexander out. That was quite a heavy blog post, hope it didn't bore you too much, and you got some useful information from it. Thank you for all the views so far, I really appreciate it. Stay tuned over the next few days for more posts.




















No comments:

Post a Comment